Negative factors to watch for in an interview
It’s easy to send out bad signals when being interviewed – but employers will be watching for these and they could compromise your chances. Here’s what to watch out for.
During the course of an interview, the employer will be evaluating your negative factors as well as your positive attributes. Listed below are negative factors that feed back to Futura the most.
- Poor personal appearance
- Overbearing, aggressive, conceited; superiority complex; know-it-all
- Inability to express thoughts clearly; poor diction or grammar
- Being “wooly” when responding to questions
- Lack of planning for career – no purpose or goals
- Lack of interest and enthusiasm – passive and indifferent
- Lack of confidence – nervousness
- Over-emphasis on money – interested only in remuneration
- Evasive – makes excuses for unfavourable parts of your cv
- Lack of tact/maturity/courtesy
- Speaking ill of past employers or colleagues
- Failure to look interviewer in the eye
- Limp handshake
- Lack of appreciation of the value of experience
- Failure to ask good questions about the job and company (this is most important!)
- Persistent attitude of “What can you do for me?”
- Lack of preparation for interview – failure to get information about the company, resulting in inability to ask intelligent questions
ALWAYS conduct yourself as if you are determined to get the job you are discussing. Never close the door on an opportunity. It is better to be in the position where you can choose from a number of jobs rather than only one.
Close off the interview
If you are interested in the position, ask for it. Ask for the next interview, if the situation demands. If the interviewer offers the position to you, and you are interested, accept on the spot. If you need some time to think it over, be courteous and tactful in asking for that time. Set a definite date when you can provide an answer.
Don’t be too discouraged if no definite offer is made or specific salary discussed. The interviewer will probably want to communicate with their office first or interview more applicants before making a decision.
If you get the impression that the interview is not going well and that you have already been rejected, don’t let your disappointment show. Once in a while an interviewer who is genuinely interested in your possibilities may seem to discourage you in order to test your reaction.
Thank the interviewer for their time and consideration of you. You have done all you can if you have answered the two questions uppermost in his/her mind:
- Why are you interested in the job and the company?
- What can you offer and can you do the job?
Call Futura immediately after the interview and explain what happened. We need to talk with you before the interviewer calls us back. If you are interested in progressing further it is really important that we tell the employer that you are keen and quickly arrange the next step.
DON’T FORGET TO SMILE.
“Tim is a fantastic recruiter with a very personable demeanour who genuinely cares about the candidates and clients he deals with. Having called Tim from Australia to ask him for help in relocating back to the UK he quickly gained a solid knowledge of my likes and dislikes and was able to provide a shortlist of potential companies within 24 hours. Having interviewed with several of these companies over a two week period I was able to secure a fantastic role with a company that suited all of the initial criteria which we discussed and this was down solely to the hard work and dedication of Tim and his team. One of the main reasons I enjoyed the experience of dealing with Tim is that he doesn't try to sell you a dream like previous rec-to-recs that I have dealt with. Instead he takes the time to genuinely listen to what you are looking for and then uses that knowledge to only provide relevant opportunities to secure you a role. I can't recommend the service I have received from Tim and Futura highly enough and would certainly advise any recruiter who is looking for their next move to utilise Tim's vast network across the North.”Futura candidate