10 reasons for refusing a counter offer
When you hand in your notice, it’s quite likely you will be made a counter offer – but beware: there are good reasons why accepting a counter offer can be a bad move.
You hand in your notice – and your boss immediately makes you a better offer to stay. Sure, it’s flattering – but is it sensible to accept?
- What type of company do you work for if you have to threaten to resign before they give you true market value for your skills/experience.
- Where is the money for the counter offer coming? Is it just your next salary raise early?
- Your company will start looking for your replacement at a lower salary immediately, the wheels are already in motion to replace you ASAP.
- You have made your company aware that you are unhappy, from this day you are seen as disloyal.
- When promotion opportunities arise, your company will remember who was loyal and who wasn’t.
- Any redundancies/cutbacks will start with you.
- Your reasons for leaving that have caused you to look for a change will repeat themselves again in the future, even if you accept a counter offer.
- Statistics show that if you accept a counter offer, the probability of you leaving or being asked to leave within 6-12 months is extremely high. 80% of people accepted counter offers are gone in 6 months. 50% of accepted counter offers reinitiate their job search within 90 days!
- Accepting a counter offer is an insult to your intelligence and personal pride, because you know you have been bought.
- Once word gets out, your relationship with your colleagues will never be the same…you will be the defector who was brought back!
“I owe a lot to Tim, my first impressions of Rec2Rec agencies haven’t been good - and Tim has restored my faith that there are some good Rec2Recs who care about placing you in the right role. He listened to what I wanted and selected a few places to interview with; he would listen to what I wanted and always arranged calls to suit me. He has now placed me and it couldn’t be a better fit or opportunity for me and my career, I can not thank Tim and Futura enough.”Futura candidate